Thursday, April 21, 2011

Flying Daydreams

I'm a pretty big fan of Carl Sandburg.  I always felt everyone should have a favorite poet.  After searching my high school text book, I found myself drawn to 'Limited' which was the first poem by Sandburg I ever read.  


But one that stuck with me equally was 'Wingtip'.


The birds—are they worth remembering? Is flight a wonder and one wingtip a marvel? When will man know what birds know?


I feel like we are all trying to understand something we cannot experience.  Have you ever had a flying dream?  I remember almost all of mine so viscerally.  Floating into the air and then guiding myself.  It is clearly my body recalling the sensation of being underwater.  But like a green screen of the mind, I have set a backdrop of tiny houses and the tips of oak trees to my maneuvers.  


As I sit here and daydream.  I want to know that feeling of flight.  And the closest I get is getting to watch an idea birthed from my sponge manifest itself into something tangible.


I have been following my friend, Peter Zimmerman's blog The Screen Bum and he inspired me to go ahead and create a blog of my own.  I have a lot of ridiculous random thoughts and here is as good a place as any to share them.

No comments:

Post a Comment